Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Time Spent on Modules  (Read 18215 times)

sciboy1190

• New User
    • View Profile
    • [my] visual art
Time Spent on Modules
« on: May 05, 2007, 04:57:04 »

I'm curious...how much time do you spend on your modules?
Also: When and where do you track?

As for myself...
First I should point out that I usually track when I have a spare moment in a class with a working computer. This is most likely....
>third period - free period (10:24am)
>fourth period - computer/easy-to-be-called-a free period (10:24am)
>or seventh period - (after a test/quiz in) math  (1:42pm).

So the time spent varies alot...most common are: 20 minutes, 40 minutes, 1 hour, and 150 minutes....

And then I tend master my songs somewhere inbetween 5pm and 7pm, at home....panning and filters in particular....
[insert something interesting here]

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:57:50 »

When I'm composing, it often takes an hour or two per day, mostly after school. Optimizing the tunes takes another 2 hours (maybe :D), so I often spend many hours on one module.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 21:15:53 »

The time it takes me to track a song is dependent of these factors:
- Finding samples and the right sound.
- Complexity of my ideas
- Inspiration
- Craziness

An average time spent in total for me is probably 2 hours for 3-4 minutes of music. When I track using MIDI or Pulse samples, it generally take around an hour as I can get a clear picture of how exactly my song is going to sound.

The complexity generally goes to how many channels I've decided on using. I usually don't use more than 16, and 16 is pretty extreme in my case (hahaha, I make single, three and four channel music all the time), but for more than 4 channels, I usually require around an hour more.

If I'm not really inspired and have no ideas of a full song, I end up fiddling for several hours trying to get my scattered ideas together. If I'm doing that, the song usually ends up like, well, crap... bad crap.

The fourth factor, "craziness", well, that just goes for how over-excited I am. The more crazy I am, the faster I get a song together. Of course, some people may say that crazy songs like "Pulse Nuts", which I recently made and sounds like I drank 10 red bulls and sat down at the keyboard, are mostly crap... but craziness is more fun. Meet New Friends anyone?

OK, that's enough shit from me. :) * Eagle goes back to fiddling with Pulse Tracker again. *
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 15:00:36 »

When composing my AHX tracks, I spent at most about 2 hours on them from start to finish, some even less - It was one of those periods of being on a roll :yes:

When im composing in my studio, my greatest pieces (imo) have been composed in less than a week. The longer it takes the less inspiration I get, so I tend to finish them off quickly (have a listen via the links in my sig) :D
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 20:15:25 »

Depends.. if I'm really inspirated, I can do 6-7 minutes of polished music in 4~5 hours (during a one tracking session). Then an hour or two of polishing after a couple days to get a fresh point of view to the song, and one or two more hours for exporting, mixing and mastering. So completing a song takes from 8 to 12 hours for me.

If I'm not that inspirated, which usually is the case if I'm composing on demand, completing a 4-5 minute song takes few days, few hours a day.

Early mornings, and nights are the only times when I can actually compose. It has got something to do with being tired I guess.

And about that complexity factor Eagle mentioned; for me it doesn't really matter, because I always end up using way over 32 physical channels anyway. In fact it'd take alot more time for me if I tried to make something simple.

zovik

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://mcs.drury.edu/nbloomfield
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:12:14 »

For me tracking is a way to unwind, so I try to start and finish in one sitting- usually less than 2 hours. If I don't `finish' before I run out of time or get bored, the file gets a number and goes into a huge crap folder. If I do, it gets a title. If I REALLY like it, it gets uploaded to TMA or modland.
on't believe everything you read on the internets. -W

jobro

• New User
    • View Profile
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 03:16:12 »

For me it is the other way around, I sit 30 minutes at the time concentrating on one pattern at the time, then a 15 minute break so I can concentrate. Getting some fresh air, maybe some water. Then I'm back for another 30 minutes. This cycle goes 4-6 times per day.

mqa

• New User
    • View Profile
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:45:56 »

....am I the only one who takes more than a day to finish a decent track? From what I've noticed, you all are machines who write awesome tracks in a few minutes...
url=http://modarchive.org/search.php?query=mq4&type=otherartist]My tracks[/url]

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 13:16:43 »

nah.
my writing time increased from one hour to one month and more...
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
Time Spent on Modules
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 22:51:22 »

Since a while ago, I've found myself taking a lot more time when I compose. The stuff I make in two hours just won't do anymore, I've gotten more perfectionistic and spend hours and hours extra on what I thought was a finished tune adding more, removing some, tweaking this and that.

In fact, I've been working on this same tune for 3 weeks now, and I'm still not done. It's currently 6 minutes long, has around 40 patterns and lots of effects. Yet, I don't feel I'm close to done with it. Maybe this marks a new era for me when I actually release quality stuff (well, as quality as my tunes will ever mean...).

Let's hope. Root for me. :)
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up