Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Question about "ettiquette"  (Read 5547 times)

safyre

• New User
    • View Profile
Newbie Question about "ettiquette"
« on: March 08, 2012, 17:46:32 »

Hi all, I just recently started using MilkyTracker to make some 8-bit stuff, and it's the first time I've ever really gone the sample-based route. I quickly discovered how easily module files are accessible online, and how one can essentially open any given artist's file and check out their techniques and samples. For anyone who uses trackers, what's would you say is good "ettiquette" concerning the re-use of others' samples? Is doing so looked down upon? Does everyone do it once it awhile, or does it depend on the artist? I just don't want to get started making 8-bit music using a method that's not really seen as "fair."

In short, is it okay to re-use other artist's samples (not exclusively, of course) or should you only rip/make your own?

Beyond

Re: Newbie Question about "ettiquette"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 18:59:37 »

It's ok to ''steal'' the samples. The samples in the songs you're listening to are probably taken many times over already. If it seems to be original samples you could mention the author though. That's at least how I do and noone has sued me yet  :P

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 19:09:34 »

It's ok to ''steal'' the samples.
If you call it stealing right upon, no of course it's not OK. Generally the best advice is that, if you are going to use someone's samples, give credits to that person, i.e. mention the source of your samples in each of your tunes. For an example how that could look like, see here. Noone will sue your for ripping samples from a MOD, but generally cannot expect to be liked by the community if you take their samples without a single "thank you".
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

CommanderKeen

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:41:56 »

It's OK to re-use samples, unless the artist specifically mentions that he doesn't want the samples to be re-used. For non-generic samples that are used in specific ways, such as singing/vocals, guitar riffs, original drumloops, etc, you'll probably want to use them in a new, creative way or a different context than the original song, otherwise you might be seen as a rip-off and non-creative. However, the tracking community usually has a very open minded view about this. If you credit the original sampler, you'll be fine.

Tr4p

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Tr4p Chiptune
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:12 »

It's OK to re-use samples, unless the artist specifically mentions that he doesn't want the samples to be re-used. For non-generic samples that are used in specific ways, such as singing/vocals, guitar riffs, original drumloops, etc, you'll probably want to use them in a new, creative way or a different context than the original song, otherwise you might be seen as a rip-off and non-creative. However, the tracking community usually has a very open minded view about this. If you credit the original sampler, you'll be fine.
What he said :)
400    Tr4p^TRSi
C82
Pages: [1]   Go Up